23 May 2010

The Yoshiwara and the world of Japanese courtesans by Lesley Downer

It almost slip my mind but on 18 May I went to a talk titled
The Yoshiwara and the world of Japanese courtesans
It was given by Lesley Downer who is an author of various books relating to the Japanese culture.

The talk was brought to my notice by a ImmortalGeisha member and I have to thank Lyuba for arranging myself and Hong to be on the guest list because tickets for the talk were £7.00. Although when we got to the place we mentioned we were on the guest list and the girl didn't know anything about it. However she kindly checked with the organiser for us and although there was no official guest list anywhere she said that we said the right things to her and it would appear that we are guests. SCORE!

The talk lasted for just over an hour and although it contained many interesting pictures of the Yoshiwara past and present, I have to say I didn't learn a great deal. It would appear that ImmortalGeisha website has taught me a lot about the courtesans life although it was interesting to see where the Yoshiwara is situated in modern Tokyo. However I don't think I will be visiting to anytime soon as it is not the most pleasant part of Tokyo.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures as there wasn't really anything to take photos of.

Afterward there was an opportunity to buy her latest book and get it signed but I don't read books often and the last thing I need is more useless things.

4 comments:

shigatsuhana said...

If you ever are inclined to read, do read her books. I have all of her books and enjoy the way she writes. I met her in 2006 and had her sign the books I had at the time. She of course has since written two novels. I'm in the middle of reading her current one.

Kitty Kanzashi said...

I'm far to lazy to read books. If only I can get my boyfriend to read them and then give me a summary. That is what I did for the Harry Potter books.

Lyuba-chan said...

I'm glad you got to go! I wish I could have made it too ;( And lol I should have asked you to get her to sign a book for me. Oh well, maybe if she has another talk :)

Kitty Kanzashi said...

you should have mentioned that you wanted a book, nevermind, it appears she gives talks in London every couple of years. So there is a chance there will be another talk in the future.